Read. Write. Speak., LLC
My name is Sondra Tutela. I teach because I want to help educate you or someone you likely care about. After seven years teaching in a public school classroom, working with children and adults, I realized that I want to use my experience, education, and skills to help students of all ages. Experience has led me to believe that most students who are not achieving as readers, writers, and mathematicians will benefit if they have additional focused instruction. From the beginning, there is a high expectation of learning and mutual respect. Learning is more internalized if smiles and laughter are involved.
My greatest strengths lie in the area of children who are struggling with learning to read and write. In recent years, I have become very interested in how the brain can be retrained to incorporate information in different ways. Specifically, I am referring to students who exhibit signs of, or who have received a diagnosis of dyslexia and dysgraphia. Using an Orton Gillingham based approach and resources, I have had great success with students who have struggled in school because they see things a little differently than the rest of us. I feel very strongly that these students can be helped and moved toward success.
In addition to being a teacher of children, teaching adults challenges me in a different way and on another level. The English language has always fascinated me, and it gives me great joy to share my knowledge. I am still amazed about how much there is to know and learn more about. I work with people in reading, writing, listening, and/or speaking.
If you feel as if you could use some additional support for yourself, your child or loved one’s education, please contact Read. Write. Speak., LLC.
Sondra Tutela, EdM
Resume / CV
As a teacher, my goal is to establish a positive environment using best instructional practices and assessment in order to increase reading, writing, listening, and speaking / communication skills of all students.
Teacher and educational coach, Business owner, Read. Write. Speak., LLC, Coaching and tutoring services for children and adults in literacy and English language skills (2012-present)
Teacher, Mountain View Elementary School, Adams 12 Five Star School District, Thornton, CO (2011-2012) 5th grade, departmentalized literacy
Teacher, Coronado Hills Elementary School, Adams 12 Five Star School District, Thornton, CO (2005-2011)
- 3rd grade elementary team member (2009-2011)
- After-school tutoring using SOAR program materials (January-April, 2011)
- After-school tutoring for students in GOALs (an after school support program)
- 2nd grade elementary team member (2008-2009)
- 4th grade elementary team member (2005-2008)
- TESL Adult English Teacher (2009 and 2010) After school program for parents
- Additional responsibilities: Faculty Advisory Committee (2007-present) 3rd Grade Level Chairman (2010-present), 4th Grade Level Chairman (2006-2008), PBS Committee (2009-2010), Library Committee (2010-present), Technology Committee, and Inter-grade writing analysis team (2006-2007)
Summer School Teacher, Thornton Elementary School (2007 and 2008)
Customer Service Manager, American Coin Merchandising, Inc. Boulder, CO (1999 – 2004) Spreadsheet management, logistical services for transportation of amusement vending machines
Business Owner, Keepin’ it Together, Cleveland Heights, OH (1995-1998) Residential cleaning and maintenance
- Yoshimoto Orton Gillingham Approach Training – (2016) Basic and Advanced – Geared toward students who are diagnosed or may exhibit signs of dyslexia.
- Master’s in Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis in Literacy Education (2005-2008) University of Colorado – Partners in Education (PIE), Boulder, CO | Reading Teacher Endorsement
- Linguistically Diverse Education Endorsement, CSU Global (2010-2011)
- B.S., Psychology (1996) Kent State University, Kent, OH
- Solexico School, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, Level 1 Spanish Intensive course (Summer, 2010)
- TESL Certification to teach English to adults (2008-2009), Front Range Community College
- K-6 Teaching Certification (2004-2005), University of Colorado, Boulder, CO
- Colorado Writing Project (2011) Intensive writing study for teachers of writing
- Regular use of technology in classroom including Smart boards, Mimeo, and various learning software
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs
- Trained in AddVantage Math (2007) Identify student constructs in math abilities
Text, call, or email 720/413-6179 @